Antioxidants Prevent Cellular Damage Caused by Heavy Metals and Pathogens
Mercury and other heavy metals, environmental toxins and pathogens (i.e. fungi, bad bacteria, parasites, viruses) damage every cell they come into contact with. This includes as they are traveling through and out of the body via stool, urine and skin. Cellular damage is what causes symptoms.
In simple terms, antioxidants prevent cellular damage by attaching to free radicals (toxins), neutralizing their harmful effects, preventing cellular corrosion. Antioxidants give toxins a “free ride” while traveling out of the body. This alleviates symptoms.
An important part of my mercury detox program consists of consuming as many antioxidants as possible every day.
Following are food sources high in antioxidants:
- Berries and other fruits – blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, goji, acai, pomegranate, camu, raspberries, plums, cherries, blackberries, prunes, plums. Add a tablespoon to your shakes or drinking water a couple times daily. You can purchase these raw super food powders at most health food stores. A website for excellent quality raw foods and super foods is: www.LongevityWarehouse.com (David Wolfe’s website)
- Raw tomatoes
- Raw cacao (chipped or powdered)
- Raw maca powder
- Walnuts and pecans
- Legumes, especially kidney, pinto and black beans
- Purple cabbage
- Bee products, such as propolis and royal jelly (avoid raw honey due to high sugar content which feeds pathogens).
- Raw vegetable juices are extremely high in antioxidants. Ideal vegetables to juice for the mercury toxic are: celery, cucumber, zucchini, yellow squash, purple cabbage and lettuces only. Moderate to severely toxic cases should avoid juicing kale, collard greens, turnip greens, swiss chard or beet greens due to their high content of oxalic acid when raw. They are also so concentrated in minerals, they are likely to cause sensitivities or a bad reaction for more sensitive cases. Eating these highly nutritious dark leafy greens cooked is ideal.
For moderate to severe mercury toxic cases, unless you are presently tolerating them, initially avoid all green powdered superfoods, such as algae, including red algae, chlorella and spirulina, wheat grass, barley grass and cilantro. Mild toxic cases can usually tolerate these forms of greens. More severely toxic cases usually cannot, as they often exacerbate symptoms, causing complications and set backs in your recovery. These greens can be introduced at a later date after more progress has been made reducing food sensitivities caused by a leaky gut condition.
Following are some whole food sourced nutraceuticals high in antioxidants and are excellent for the heavy metal toxic:
- Pure Synergy Organic Berry Powder. Contains various berries.
- Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Antioxidants. Contains raw vegetables, berries and other fruits.
- Innate Response Resveratrol Reds. Contains raw vegetables, berries, fruits and reservatrol.
- Host Defense Chaga. Organic medicinal mushrooms.
- Garden of Life Raw Resveratrol. Raw vegetables, berries and other fruits.
- Enzymatic Therapy Tart Cherry Ultra. Pure cherry. Excellent for uric acid levels. Chronic heavy metal toxicity can develop high uric acid levels. Cherries are also high in iron. Food-based iron is an important nutrient for the heavy metal toxic. Synthetic iron is toxic. The mercury and heavy metal toxic should avoid synthetic iron and copper.
- Gaia Herbs Black Edlerberry. Black elderberry extract and acerola fruit extract.
- Gaia Herbs Cranberry Concentrate capsules. Pure cranberry extract.
- Gaia Herbs Curcuma NF-kB Turmeric (liquid-filled caps). Curcumin has powerful antioxidant and body and neuro anti-inflammation properties.
- Mega Food Blueberry. Wild blueberry.
- Vitamin E. A few excellent brands which are residue and soy-free are Pure Encapsulations, Unique E Complex and Integrative Therapeutics.
Mercury Detox Specialist, Connie Fox, HHP, NC www.MercuryMadness.info
This content is for informational and educational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, illness or health condition. Please consult with your physician for any health or nutrition advice.