I suffered needlessly and for way too long with “mercury madness”. Unfortunately, so have many of my clients. Anxiety, depression, fear, obsessive racing thoughts, brain fog and chronic fatigue are just a few symptoms that often accompanies mercury toxicity. If not detoxified properly, you can become debilitated to the brink of suicide. This is how mercury poisoning got the term “Mad Hatters” disease.
In the 19th century, hat manufacturers used inorganic mercury in the form of mercuric nitrate. Because the manufacturers worked in enclosed spaces, they inhaled the toxic fumes. Mercury, being the unique neurotoxin it is, literally made them go “mad” – in other words – they induced their own mercury toxicity.
Every day I hear from people struggling to remove mercury out of their bodies. They’re making no real headway and often times go backwards. Upon the guidance of my practitioners, I made the exact same mistake, again and again – for years!
The most common mistake made by the mercury toxic is trying to detoxify the mercury or other metals before the body is properly prepared. Mildly toxic cases may begin their restorative program with the detoxifying process. As long as they don’t detox too much mercury too quickly, they can tolerate it without complications. Not so for the moderately to severely toxic. I want you to know that you don’t need to endure “mercury madness” symptoms to rid your body of the mercury!
A moderately to severely mercury toxic condition can include these symptoms:
- Leaky Gut
- Mast cell histamine release, which causes inflammation and a hypersensitive immune response to toxins, allergens, foods, supplements and detoxifiers, as well as synthetic heavy metal chelators.
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Poisoned, sluggish organs and glands
- Overgrowth of pathogens
- Cellular damage from the metals and pathogens, including the brain and myelin sheath, the protective, exterior coating of nerve cells.
Because of this, your body simply cannot succeed in the safe, pain-free removal of mercury. When you detox without the proper preparation, you can exacerbate symptoms from a minor to severe level. Symptoms can even become life-threatening.
You must first improve these conditions to a certain degree before your body can handle the rigors of detoxification. This leads to the most common obstacle that prevents the mercury toxic from making more significant progress – not first repairing their leaky gut condition and inflammation caused by the over-production of mast cells. Unfortunately, many health professionals, especially in the United States, do not know how to accomplish this.
Eating a “gluten-free candida diet” and supplementing with a couple gut health supplements and probiotics is likely NOT enough to resolve this issue. Antimicrobial agents can cause even further complications.
If you do not first repair the intestinal tract, excreted metals will pass directly through your impermeable, “leaky” intestines into the bloodstream and re-poison you all over again. Taking binders can help minimize this, but will NOT help enough. Detoxifying the mercury before properly preparing the body causes excessive cellular damage and worsens symptoms.
Repairing your leaky gut condition will enable you to:
- Re-establish a healthy intestinal mucosal layer [the ‘house’ of the immune system].
- Effectively re-colonize good bacteria [rebuild immune system]
- Improve your impaired assimilation and methylation.
- Inhibit the production of mast cells caused by the metals and pathogens.
- Reduce chronic inflammation.
- Resolve food and nutraceutical sensitivities [a hyper-sensitive immune response].
- Restore nutritional deficiencies, which includes strengthening organs and glands.
- Repair cellular damage from the metals, pathogens and nutritional deficiencies.
- Eradicate the overgrowth of pathogens, which always occurs on one level or another with heavy metal toxicity. Pathogens include candida, mold, fungi, protozoa and other bacteria, fungi, parasites and viruses.
- Open detoxification pathways (liver, kidneys, gall bladder, lymph system, tonsils, adenoids, vagus nerve) so you can efficiently channel/move the metals through and out of the body. If detoxification pathways are still blocked by the pathogens and the waste and toxins they produce, the mobilized metals get “blocked” and “backed up” in the extracellular terrain of the body. This exacerbates symptoms and can be downright dangerous.
Once you have made some progress with the leaky gut issue, mast cell production, inflammation, nutritional deficiencies and cellular repair, addressing the pathogens and opening the detoxification pathways, your body is then able to put most of its resources into neutralizing and removing the metals. At this point, the body is well-equipped to handle it and can be a smooth process.
Many health professionals start your detox program with synthetic supplements, nutritional IV’s, and by focusing on detoxifying the metals toward the beginning of your program – thereby treating a moderately to severely toxic case the same way as a mild toxic case.
Often times, the practitioner becomes baffled when you get worse instead of better. In their frustration, they may think something like, “It must be emotional. I see no physical reason for this. They’re over-exaggerating or they just want attention”. This is when many practitioners tell you that you just have to “accept the suffering” and deal with it until you get all the mercury out. Or, they may say there is nothing more they can do for you. If you complain about the pain you are in [as a result of their recommendations], they may even dump you as a patient and suggest you see a psychiatrist, leaving you in a state of utter defeat and hopelessness. It is at this point when many of my clients come to me.
Mercury detox is not a do-it-yourself project. Make sure you have a skilled detox specialist who can accurately recognize the stages of your progress.
Do not be fooled into the “no pain, no gain” approach when it comes to mercury detoxification. There is no need to suffer to rid yourself of the mercury. I was recorded as the most mercury toxic person to have survived – and with no lasting neurological damage! I am living proof that there is a safer and easier way to detox heavy metals other than the standard one-size-fits-all detox protocol.
So, if you are heavy metal toxic, the most important thing to remember is that proper preparation of the body is essential to a safe, effective heavy metal detox program.
Mercury Detox Specialist, Connie Fox HHP, CHC, AADP
This content is for informational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, cure, treat or prevent any disease, illness or health condition. Consult with your physician about health or nutrition related matters.